Who plans on towing with their Hyundai Palisade?

Who plans on towing with their Hyundai Palisade?

• Yes - Large Trailer with brake controller

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Yes - Small Trailer

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
Reactions
Back from the trip! Was a great shake-down cruise to test out the car, here are some takeaways:
  1. With minor hills, got about 11 MPG towing a 4,000 lb trailer
  2. Self-leveling is nice, but was still sagging and bringing the headlights up higher than normal at night. There was very little sway on the trailer, but I'm going to get an Anderson 3380 weight distribution/sway control hitch for my particular trailer setup. Being only 60 lbs, our Palisades don't need any more tongue weight than it already has. I feel that once I get it on it will be even more stable and handle better.
  3. RPM's were in the 1,800 - 3K range. 6% grades @ 65 MPH would occasionally put it up to 3,500 RPM.
  4. Once the self-leveling kicked in after 3-5 miles the ride was very smooth. I was renting trucks before, and the biggest surprise was the turning radius! This was way better than a Ram 1500 or Ford F250 that I rented.
Overall, I would get the weight distribution going to ensure a safer ride, but overall VERY HAPPY towing with the palisade. The P3 brake controller worked like a champ, two teenagers were happy with their captains chairs, and even had a cooler in the back of the 3rd row.

IMG_4251.jpeg

Reactions
I just took delivery on a AWD Limited Palisade yesterday and have to get a hitch and seven pin connector installed for trailer breaks. Would you mind posting some pictures of your installation and sharing your experience with the 7 pin. Did you have to pull in 12v to the dash and a cable to the 7 pin to power the trailer brakes, or might that be pre wired like most other mid sized SUVs?🤞
. Hi Bruce, the trailer shop did all of the work, they knew already exactly what to do. From what they explained and I verified visually, they pretty much followed exactly the setup covered in the video for the Telluride on Page 1. If you are looking to DIY your 7-pin connection, that video is your best source for the moment. I personally didn't want to chance voiding the warranty, there's even a page in the manual that states to have a qualified trailer shop help do the installation for electric brakes.

miniBog

Reactions
. Hi Bruce, the trailer shop did all of the work, they knew already exactly what to do. From what they explained and I verified visually, they pretty much followed exactly the setup covered in the video for the Telluride on Page 1. If you are looking to DIY your 7-pin connection, that video is your best source for the moment. I personally didn't want to chance voiding the warranty, there's even a page in the manual that states to have a qualified trailer shop help do the installation for electric brakes.

Hello,

Are you certain this does not void the warranty? Having spoken to the Hyundai sales guy he said that modifications may void the warranty.

Reactions
Hello,

Are you certain this does not void the warranty? Having spoken to the Hyundai sales guy he said that modifications may void the warranty.
This is a screenshot from the Palisade manual. Hyundai recommends to take it to a brake shop for any kind of towing where you need to activate a trailer’s own brake system. Basically you would need a 7-pin setup for external brakes, so if there are any issues with warranty issues down the road I can present this page of the manual along with my receipt of the warranty work done at the trailer shop to show I had it done by a professional. Honestly I’m not sure if the sales guy knows that this is a required upgrade, not modification in order to tow legally in most states.hope this helps!

Attachments

Reactions
There's been a few posts on parallel threads on a new Hitch from Curt being released, model # 13427. It looks to have the perfect blend of having most of the hitch hidden except for the receiver, and increasing weight distribution and tongue weight, although I don't plan on going above 400lbs (it's rated for 750). Having it delivered from Amazon, and plan on installing it in next week or two. Will post pics when updated.

miniBog

Reactions
There's been a few posts on parallel threads on a new Hitch from Curt being released, model # 13427. It looks to have the perfect blend of having most of the hitch hidden except for the receiver, and increasing weight distribution and tongue weight, although I don't plan on going above 400lbs (it's rated for 750). Having it delivered from Amazon, and plan on installing it in next week or two. Will post pics when updated.
Will you be installing a 7-pin hook up and brake controller? Or getting the standard 4-pin from Hyundai?

Fredb

Reactions
Back from the trip! Was a great shake-down cruise to test out the car, here are some takeaways:
  1. With minor hills, got about 11 MPG towing a 4,000 lb trailer
  2. Self-leveling is nice, but was still sagging and bringing the headlights up higher than normal at night. There was very little sway on the trailer, but I'm going to get an Anderson 3380 weight distribution/sway control hitch for my particular trailer setup. Being only 60 lbs, our Palisades don't need any more tongue weight than it already has. I feel that once I get it on it will be even more stable and handle better.
  3. RPM's were in the 1,800 - 3K range. 6% grades @ 65 MPH would occasionally put it up to 3,500 RPM.
  4. Once the self-leveling kicked in after 3-5 miles the ride was very smooth. I was renting trucks before, and the biggest surprise was the turning radius! This was way better than a Ram 1500 or Ford F250 that I rented.
Overall, I would get the weight distribution going to ensure a safer ride, but overall VERY HAPPY towing with the palisade. The P3 brake controller worked like a champ, two teenagers were happy with their captains chairs, and even had a cooler in the back of the 3rd row.

View attachment 851
Any comments after installing your weight distribution bars?

Last edited:
Reactions
FYI, Kia corporate decided to up the tongue weight from 351 to 500 pounds on the Telluride, so it stands to reason that we should see a similar update from Hyundai corporate on updating the manual for the Palisade to mirror this as well. This would open up towing for all of us that have trailers in the 3000-4000lb range...

73409252_10212758835560658_7983698935967383552_o.jpg

miniBog

Reactions
FYI, Kia corporate decided to up the tongue weight from 351 to 500 pounds on the Telluride, so it stands to reason that we should see a similar update from Hyundai corporate on updating the manual for the Palisade to mirror this as well. This would open up towing for all of us that have trailers in the 3000-4000lb range...

View attachment 994
I hope this is further evidence that installing a 7-pin will not void the warranty. I'm finally pulling the trigger and getting the Curt 13427 installed in a couple of weeks. The tow-hitch plus labor to convert to 7-pin was quoted at $679 plus tax.

Reactions
I hope this is further evidence that installing a 7-pin will not void the warranty. I'm finally pulling the trigger and getting the Curt 13427 installed in a couple of weeks. The tow-hitch plus labor to convert to 7-pin was quoted at $679 plus tax.
If you reference post #44 on this thread, there’s an excerpt from the manual stating to have a professional trailer shop do the brake line (7-pin) from the Hyundai owners manual.
This would ensure that you were not voiding the warranty

miniBog

Reactions
If you reference post #44 on this thread, there’s an excerpt from the manual stating to have a professional trailer shop do the brake line (7-pin) from the Hyundai owners manual.
This would ensure that you were not voiding the warranty
Thanks for the reply, I saw that post as well. However, my concern is that an excerpt from the manual that refers to a shop does not necessarily imply that the warranty will not be effected. It does not specifically mention the warranty and Hyundai could potentially not honor it based on a number of things as often happens when you "modify" your car in the after-market. In fact, I was told by my Hyundai dealer (and I quote): "If an issue arises due to something that was done after market... the issue wouldn't be covered under warranty. However, if something happens and it's deemed to not be the fault of anything after market... You'll be fine." So I have my concerns.

Reactions
More good news on the tongue weight update: Received an email from Hyundai corporate, and they are aware of the confusion and are working to update the manual. They are stating that you can tow 10-15% of your trailer tongue weight when towing, see email below:

DC81C955-21AB-460A-84A9-43032CBE220C.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnnyh29

Reactions
Does that include brake controller? Was that a dealer quote?

miniBog

Reactions
Does that include brake controller? Was that a dealer quote?
That doesn't include the brake controller, I used one I had. That included the Curt hitch, installation of hitch, and wiring to convert from 4-pin to 7-pin. I did not get a dealer quote as I like the Curt hitch much better (less visible) and I don't believe that the dealers do the 4-pin to 7-pin conversion.

yanni

Reactions
That doesn't include the brake controller, I used one I had. That included the Curt hitch, installation of hitch, and wiring to convert from 4-pin to 7-pin. I did not get a dealer quote as I like the Curt hitch much better (less visible) and I don't believe that the dealers do the 4-pin to 7-pin conversion.
So you didn't order the tow pakage with the factory hitch and self levelling shocks?

miniBog

Reactions
So you didn't order the tow pakage with the factory hitch and self levelling shocks?
I have the limited version. That includes the self-leveling shocks and transmission cooler as standard. However, the tow hitch is an option, one that was impossible to find from the factory. I could have gotten the Hyundai tow-hitch installed with the 4-pin after purchasing but it is more expensive and move visible than the Curt.

Ventura

Reactions
Here are the measurements on my flat driveway:
  1. Floor to bottom of hitch: 10 inches
  2. Floor to top of hitch tube: 12 1/3 inches
I ended up watching this video on hitch rise/drop, and here are my calculations, let me know if this seems right:
  • Bottom of trailer ball hitch mount from floor: 20.5 inches
  • Floor to top of hitch tube: 12 1/3 inches
  • Difference: +8.2 inches or an 8" rise
Next plan is to order an 8" riser, hoping that makes sense.
Excellent report👍🏻
I just wanted to offer some comments here.
I currently drive 2018 Santa Fe XL and towing a 3,500 lbs boat with a trailer.
The trailer hitch was dealer installed and I had to add fifth wire for the trailer breaks. Works well.
The trailer hitch is integrated in the rear bumper end it doesn’t stick out at all.
I was waiting for the new Palisade for some time and I have mixed feelings about it.
After having 4 Santa Fe’s I was hoping that Hyundai will come up with an SUV that will match rivalry of the Competition, which measure in towing capacity and the availability of the tow hitch and multi wire connections, a 4-pin and a 7-pin. Unfortunately Hyundai is not trying hard enough in this market segment. It should push for at least 6,000 lbs towing capacity.
Second observation is that the receiver hitch is extremely low, only 10 inch ground clearance?!
My XL has at least 12 inches.
It makes it hard to compensate this hight difference and to keep the right weight distribution. An adjustment of 8 inches seems to be a bit bigger than I would expect it from this vehicle.
I hope the set up for your vehicles works great and that will give you a smooth ride.
I still cannot understand the lack of design detail for the Palisade. Otherwise is seems to be a great looking SUV.

ChrisSCWA

Reactions
I have the limited version. That includes the self-leveling shocks and transmission cooler as standard. However, the tow hitch is an option, one that was impossible to find from the factory. I could have gotten the Hyundai tow-hitch installed with the 4-pin after purchasing but it is more expensive and move visible than the Curt.
Would you happen to know the measurements from ground to top of receiver tube? Trying to determine the rise I'll need for my ball mount before I have it installed.

wpbear

Reactions
This is the closest I could find on those trying to do a 7-pin setup. Although it’s on a telluride I’m almost 100% certain the green brake wire in the steering column is the way to go:
There are two green brake wires on that wire harness. Which one is the correct one, green w/black or green w/red stripe?

Hyundai Palisade Posts