Vehicle Towing

J-Rod FON

Reactions
Got the 2024 wiring harness and hitch online from a dealer in NY, had it sent here to me in NM and installed at a local dealership. Added a brake controller and took my first towing trip this weekend with my Aluma 8214 tilt deck (1000# dry) and my custom '83 Mazda Sundowner in tow from Edgewood NM to Ignacio CO and back. Honestly preformed pretty well, mileage dropped significantly (14-15 mpg) but that was expected. Got some sway about 70mph. But no temp issues, ran the AC at 66 the whole trip. Wanted to share in case anyone else was wondering how theirs would do. To be fair my truck is very light (about 2300#)

palisade towing throwback.jpg

Reactions
Thanks for the info. What was your total cost, including installation? My dealer quoted me $2k and suggested I go to the local U-Haul as that's where most of their customers go. I was thinking of purchasing the wiring harness online and the hitch and installation at U-Haul. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

OP
J

J-Rod FON

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Hitch and wiring about 800, installation about 500. Another 80 for the brake controller, which I installed myself but otherwise may have run another hundred or so.

maitaimike

Reactions
I put my hitch on myself. It was not too hard only 4 bolts. The hardest part was dropping and raising exhaust from rubber brackets. Got hitch from E Trailer for $206. Purchased OEM wiring harness online. I haven't attached brake controller as yet ,no need.

OP
J

J-Rod FON

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
ok my hitch and wiring were both OEM parts so little pricy. I preferred how the OEM hitch tucks up into the body and doesn't hang below the bumper cover. Had them install in case my ham hands (I kid, I used to install hitches for a living actually) would void the warranty etc.

Hyundai Palisade Posts