LKA System - Use it? Like it?

Reactions
I’d hate to be the one to throw in the monkey wrench, but I say this with expierience: when you have HDA enabled on the freeway and the “HDA” icon is lit, there is a definite difference in terms of how the LFA performs. It’s not necessary using the “Auto” feature of HDA (where it matches local speed limit), but it seems to perform better at handling staying in the lane, especially with curves.
I’ve been meaning to post about this for some time, reasoning for this is when I got the Palisade in June, the HDA would barely come on in Northern California due to the database in the navigation not listing as many freeways. Once I performed the Mapnquest update last month; either:
  • A: (Most likely) the update increased the coverage of HDA freeways (confirmed in the release notes
  • Or B: an update was made to the HDA/LFA algorithms for better performance
It seems that the HDA, combined with the little green wheel being lit, seems to increase the lane centering performance. Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on if you feel the difference as well.

Junkfood

Reactions
What is really great about these features is that they are going to save lives if used. Drivers who like to tailgate will hate them. Unintended advantage to alcoholic drivers.

PaulZooms

Reactions
A geometric explanation of how I think the systems work:

When LFA is enabled, the forward sensing systems and programming generate an imaginary center line. This is created by averaging the position of the actual lane markings. Steering assist FOLLOWS this centerline, reacting to any deviations of the vehicle’s path above tolerance from the calculated lane centerline.

When LKA is enabled, steering assist is enabled to KEEP the vehicle from crossing the actual lane markings. When the vehicle approaches within the tolerant distance to the actual lane markings, assist corrects the steered path to stay inside the lane.

So, the difference is which/what line(s), computed or observed, are used to activate and control steering assist functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Took me a few days to get used to it. I use the adaptive cruise most of the time.
I tried to keep car closer to the center line than the car does. After I stopped fighting it
works really well

OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
Thank you PaulZooms for an authoritative explanation of how these systems work! Now it makes sense. What was your source for this information? (Hoping I can tap into the same font of wisdom.)

PaulZooms

Reactions
40 years in remote sensing and geographic information systems (GIS) mapping. Remember, though, I’m interpreting via driving behavior rather than speaking from absolute knowledge. A highly plausible algorithm that fits observed operations on vehicles from Hyundai, Genesis, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions
LKA was not as evident for me yesterday in a strong cross wind. Otherwise, use it all the time with cruise control.

Hyundai Palisade Posts